End of season sale is the best time to update your wardrobe. But that doesn’t mean picking up loads of cheap stuff that will end up forever sitting in your wardrobe. If you want to get the most out of your money, you need to approach sales in a smart way. Here are my top five tips:
- Avoid impulse buying. Make a list of what you want to buy and stick to it. Think about quality fabrics and timeless pieces that will stand the test of time and look at brands that you usually can’t afford. Shoptagr is a brilliant tool if you want to keep all your wish lists in one place and get notified when your items go on sale.
- Set yourself a budget and make sure you know exactly how much you can afford to spend on each item. Pay in cash if that would help you keep track of your spending.
- Check the return policy, especially if you’re shopping online, to make sure you are able to return items if you change your mind about them.
- Don’t buy an item just because it’s on sale. Make sure it ticks all the boxes in terms of fit, quality and price. Ask yourself what would you wear it with and don’t buy it if it’s not the right size or colour.
- Read the care labels. What seems like a bargain may not be so if you wear it a couple of times and chuck it away. Consider cost per wear and avoid buying dry-clean-only items if you can’t afford to take care of them.
SHOP THE POST
Photos by Katherine McMorran